Out of Hours
From 18.30 each weekday evening until 08:00 and at weekends and Bank Holidays, emergency medical cover is provided by the Colchester Out of Hours Service. The Out-of-hours services are generally busy so please think carefully before asking to see a doctor and only do so if you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens. They can be contacted on 111.
For patients with minor illness or injury you can also attend The Colchester Walk in Centre, Primary Care Centre,Turner Road, Colchester, CO4 5JR. Open from 07:00 to 22:00 every day including bank holidays, no appointments are necessary.
The Walk in Centre is able to offer the following services:
- Minor illness
- Minor throat/chest infections
- Minor stomach complaints
- Urine infections
- Earache and ear infection – Please note that the Centre does not offer ear irrigation (removal of wax
- Skin complaints, including rashes, minor allergic reactions and insect bites/stings
- Minor Injury
- Minor wounds, bruising, swelling – please note that the Centre does not offer wound suturing
- Minor head injury with no loss of consciousness or vomitting
- Muscle, bone and joint injuries e.g. sprains, strains and soft tissue injury –
- Dental advice – Please note that the Centre gives advice only and suggested pain relief
- Eye problems e.g. infection, removal of foreign objects
- Emergency Contraception and Advice
- Smoking Cessation
These are just examples of the type of minor injuries and illnesses that can be assisted with at the Walk in Centre, if you are unsure if they can meet your needs, please call them on 01206 286510.
Please only attend the Accident and emergency department if your problem requires urgent medical attention. Inappropriate attendance delays treatment for others who may need urgent assistance.
In a genuine emergency you should call 999.